Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Losing big can sometimes be a winning strategy

I read this line on some MONEY magazine that our house gets for really no reason at all.  I was interested by the headline and realized it related a ton to poker.  If you look at my numbers on www.officialpokerrankings.com you will see that I only cash in a small percentage of tournaments yet I am still making money.  I go day after day losing tons of tournaments to so called "bad beats" and yet I find a way to win.  I am no magic man nor am I a wizard but, I am a hard worker and putting the time and effort into a winning strategy will get you where you want to be. 

So if you read my last post you will notice I am going for platinum star on pokerstars by the end of the month.  I am 800 points away from gold star and from there I am 4500 points away from platinum.  This is not an unreasonable goal I just need to find the time to play about 75-100 sngs a day for the rest of the month. 

But, the whole reason for this post was to talk about my last few days.  I have been running worse than a tree in a race and I just couldn't believe the stuff I was seeing.  I have been talking to nick rainey the last few nights and saying how I have been keeping composure and working through it.  This wasn't a lie and I really felt I was being put through a test that all poker players WILL face.  There is no way you can skate by as a true poker player without going through bad variance and after coming to that conclusion you find it alot easier to look at a bad beat and immediately turn your head to the next table like nothing happened.  I found myself complaining today for the first time in awhile and as soon as I start that I just immediately stop my session and wait until I cool down because if you aren't playing your A game 24/7 your losing money and losing money is almost as stupid as going to a tanning booth.  Yes tanning booths are stupid you look like an orange and nobody thinks it looks good.  But, moving on I was just ending my session and I finally took a tournament down by never giving up and doing what I knew was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment